Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Minimum age for MP's - at bleeding last!!
04-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Thumbs Up Minimum age for MP's - at bleeding last!!
People wanting to enter politics should wait until they are 45, a junior minister has suggested, making David Cameron too young to govern.

Public health minister Anne Milton, 55, said this was because it was only at that age you "know stuff".

"I think going into politics later in life is a good thing," she told a nursing union conference.

The PM, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Chancellor George Osborne are all under 45.

Ms Milton, a former nurse who worked in the NHS for 25 years, was speaking at the Royal College of Nursing conference in Liverpool.

She was asked about moving from the NHS into government, when she said: "Would I recommend this path to anyone else? Yes, definitely. I think going into politics later in life is a good thing.

"I've gained enormously from the experience I've had in the NHS both as an RCN steward and also particularly as a district nurse.

"I think it helps, it gives you an insight and a breadth and depth so I would recommend it.

"But if anybody's got political aspirations can I recommend you wait till you're over 45. You sort of know stuff when you're over 45."

Mr Cameron is 44, although he turns 45 later this year. He became the youngest prime minister since Robert Banks Jenkinson in 1812 when he came to power last year and was six months younger than Tony Blair was when he took power in 1997.

Mr Clegg is also 44 and is just a few months younger, while Mr Osborne is 39.

Ms Milton's boss, Health Secretary Andrew Lansley, is 54, although he was under 45 when he got into politics.

I've been saying this for 30 bloody years - and now they come out with it!! What the hell does anyone know about anything until they are at least 45. At least this would stop these morons going straight from so called university into politics. The other condition should be that no-one should be allowed into any sort of politics, central or local, unless they have worked for private enterprise for at least 10 years. Then we might get some sense from these PC cretins who know nothing about the real world.Angry

Just Dickin'Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
RE: Minimum age for MP's - at bleeding last!!
Well spotted fly boy and what's more the Chartists had similar views in the 19th Century..............In 1837, six Members of Parliament and six working men, including William Lovett, (from the London Working Men's Association, set up in 1836) formed a committee, which then published the People's Charter in 1838. This stipulated the six main aims of the movement as:

1.A vote for every man twenty-one years of age, of sound mind, and not undergoing punishment for crime.
2.The secret ballot. - To protect the elector in the exercise of his vote.
3.No property qualification for members of Parliament - thus enabling the constituencies to return the man of their choice, be he rich or poor.
4.Payment of members, thus enabling an honest tradesman, working man, or other person, to serve a constituency, when taken from his business to attend to the interests of the Country.
5.Equal Constituencies, securing the same amount of representation for the same number of electors, instead of allowing small constituencies to swamp the votes of large ones.
6.Annual parliaments, thus presenting the most effectual check to bribery and intimidation, since though a constituency might be bought once in seven years (even with the ballot), no purse could buy a constituency (under a system of universal suffrage) in each ensuing twelve-month; and since members, when elected for a year only, would not be able to defy and betray their constituents as now.

Now we have a self perpetuating oligarchy, based on family connections and schools attended irrespective of politics. One leader of the less advantaged, dark skinned Diane Abbott was so disadvantaged she went to the grammar school "Harrow County" and then went on to Newnham College Cambridge where she obtained a Masters degree in history - some massive disadvantages you must agree. To finally establish herself as seriously civily liberal she sent her child to fee paying school whereas most of her constituents cannot read or write but can spell ganja, Glock and Uzi
04-13-2011, 03:16 PM
RE: Minimum age for MP's - at bleeding last!!
Couldn't have put it better myself Chief!!

Just Dickin'Tongue